I love, love, love paperwhites in the house this time of year. Forcing bulbs indoors is a super easy project and paperwhites in particular are so easy and responsive. It feels as though as soon as you put them in place they begin to grow almost immediately.
I struggled to find paperwhites locally this year so I finally broke down and checked Amazon…sure enough they had them. I ordered the 16-17cm bulbs…I prefer the larger bulbs, depending on the container I am going to use. The tiny ones are pretty sweet too though. The large ones are nice on their own or you can group them together as your container space allows.
All you will need:
- Spring bulbs of your choice
- Pots or jars of almost any size and shape will work
- Soil or pebbles
- Optional – ribbon to tie on the jar
You can plant the bulbs in a pot with soil or place them in a container with pebbles. This year I am using quart canning jars, filled half way with pebbles. You can find clean, smooth pebbles in your local Hobby Lobby or Michael’s type of store.
Once you have the pebbles in place, nestle the bulb down slightly into the rocks. You aren’t trying to bury them in the pebbles, just place it in there to steady the bulb. Before you know it the roots will be wound all through the pebbles, securing itself.
Once your bulbs are in place, give the bulbs some water to stimulate root growth. The water should cover no more than the bottom quarter to third of the bulb.
You will be stunned at how fast they grow! These are handy to give to as hostess gifts throughout the month if you need, just tie a bow around the jar to make it more festive.
My favorite use for them though is to just have them stashed all over the house. They will take about 30 days to bloom, just in time for Christmas and New Year’s. Its always nice too, once all the red and green is put away, to have the simple beauty of the white flowers throughout your home. Forcing bulbs indoors – give it a try!
- To The Homeless Woman in Town - June 18, 2016
- When You’re a Mom, It’s the Little Things - May 10, 2016
- Empty Nest and Living Our Dreams - April 30, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday & the Wonder of WordPress - April 26, 2016
- Between the Lines & Turnaround at 50 – You are Not Alone - April 26, 2016
- Bloggers @ Midlife 2016 Conference - April 20, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday - April 12, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday - April 5, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday - March 29, 2016
- Choosing Life with Motorcycle Hair - March 26, 2016