Throughout our relationship my husband and I have both understood the importance of getting away from it all, whether it be alone or together.
When I was working so much, even though he had time on his hands, he refused to do things if I was working so hard. He buried himself into our house and property, turning it into a major never ending job instead of the refuge it was meant to be.
It has been really exciting this year to see him get out there and do things he loves to do.
He had a chance a couple weeks ago to drive 1000 or so miles into Mexico, from San Diego, eventually ending up in Los Barilles, surfing and fishing his way along. I feel like this kind of trip is a win – win for us. At the end of 11 days, he is excited to come home and I am excited to have him back – one of the keys to relationship longevity right there folks!
From his perspective, he says that being able to go and do the things he loves indicates the level of trust that we have developed in our relationship over the years. He knows and appreciates that I trust him. He feels like I set him free for a period of time to forget about the day to day worries and just let go and enjoy his time. As a chronic worrier, this is a big deal for him. He relaxes, has fun and is renewed when he returns. He is also ready, willing and able to set me free to go do whatever it is I need to do as well.
It has been a great year. We have had the time we need together and alone. It gives us hope and something to look forward to for next year! Planning a trip by yourself next year?
- To The Homeless Woman in Town - June 18, 2016
- When You’re a Mom, It’s the Little Things - May 10, 2016
- Empty Nest and Living Our Dreams - April 30, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday & the Wonder of WordPress - April 26, 2016
- Between the Lines & Turnaround at 50 – You are Not Alone - April 26, 2016
- Bloggers @ Midlife 2016 Conference - April 20, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday - April 12, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday - April 5, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday - March 29, 2016
- Choosing Life with Motorcycle Hair - March 26, 2016