I have always loved the idea of making hypertufa pots for my garden, in fact I have carried around a how-to brochure I picked up at Lowes almost four years ago, knowing that I was destined to make one eventually.
Then this holiday season I received a copy of (#aflink) The Year of Cozy by Adriana Adarme. Her book is essentially a guide to consciously adding three things to your life on a regular basis; Do by creating something, Make by trying something new and delicious, and Live by seeking out your very own adventures…Do, Make, Live. Her thought is that if we make these three things a priority in our daily lives, we will have much richer experiences as a result, so much more so than if we had simply gone through the motions of day to day survival. Her book is really beautiful, with full color pictures and instructions for all her really great Do, Make, and Live ideas.
So this seemed like the perfect time to bust out that old how to brochure and attempt to make a few hypertufa pots for my garden. You can find the instructions from Lowe’s that we followed here.
Some of our containers didn’t work well, we had to adjust quickly at the last minute. Beware of containers that are too close in size to one another, not giving you enough room to add the concrete mix to the sides, to build the walls.
After we mixed them altogether, we let them sit for three days and then removed the pots. Then we had to let them cure for a couple weeks.
I really love the way they turned out. I especially love the rough edge at the top of the smaller ones. The bigger odd one…well, that was an experiment my husband tried…hmmm….he sort of free formed it after covering a large metal pot in the cement mixture and trying to mold it into place. Too droopy a medium to make that work like he thought it would. Experimentation is good, although we may avoid that one in the future.
One thing I didn’t expect is that they are pretty light…all that perlite and moss in the mix.
Feeling cozier already! What will be your Do, Make and Live this week?
- To The Homeless Woman in Town - June 18, 2016
- When You’re a Mom, It’s the Little Things - May 10, 2016
- Empty Nest and Living Our Dreams - April 30, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday & the Wonder of WordPress - April 26, 2016
- Between the Lines & Turnaround at 50 – You are Not Alone - April 26, 2016
- Bloggers @ Midlife 2016 Conference - April 20, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday - April 12, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday - April 5, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday - March 29, 2016
- Choosing Life with Motorcycle Hair - March 26, 2016