So, an eye opening for me story from the gym during my first week or so of starting back up again. I was plugging away, sweating it up on the treadmill, when I noticed in the room near me that a new exercise class was about to start up.
I am not usually a class kinda gal…mirrors and coordinated people all in one room, not my style unfortunately. And this being southern California…these classes are usually packed.
I watch as the fit men and women file in. They gather their mats, their weights and quickly get into their spots. There is familiarity and confidence in their actions…another reason I don’t usually sign up for classes. I hate being the new person, the one that doesn’t know where to go, where to stand.
As the class gets underway I begin to think, “hey, I could do that class”. I was so excited, I bet I can actually get through that whole class. I decide I am going to grab the class schedule when I leave and see if I might be able to fit it into my schedule.
Sitting in my car, I’m scanning the schedule, trying to figure out what class that was in that particular time slot. Run my finger down the page to 10:30 time slot and to the right to Tuesday on the schedule…and there it is…Senior Fitness.
Now, I must admit, these so called seniors were in awesome shape and looked pretty amazing. But what the hell…did “senior” seriously just become my physical identifier?? Ai yi yi! Why are these realizations always so shocking to us?
I’m woman enough to own my current physical condition…I’ll take it. I’m obviously not getting any younger, but I still have the opportunity to get into better shape, like the folks in this class. They are amazing role models, toned and committed.
So, at 50, I am thankful to have the mobility and strength that I still do. My goal is to continue gaining gym confidence, not hide in the background, so with that, I will happily join “my people”! Who knows what class I might be able to take next.
- To The Homeless Woman in Town - June 18, 2016
- When You’re a Mom, It’s the Little Things - May 10, 2016
- Empty Nest and Living Our Dreams - April 30, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday & the Wonder of WordPress - April 26, 2016
- Between the Lines & Turnaround at 50 – You are Not Alone - April 26, 2016
- Bloggers @ Midlife 2016 Conference - April 20, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday - April 12, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday - April 5, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday - March 29, 2016
- Choosing Life with Motorcycle Hair - March 26, 2016