WWW – Wonderful Wednesday and WordPress
Do you know what the next five years bring for you in your life? Shoot, I hardly know what’s for dinner tonight, never mind the next five years. I am truly living one Wonderful Wednesday at a time around these parts. This weekend though, I was lucky enough to get a ticket to WordCamp in San Diego.
WordCamp is like summer camp for people that run WordPress sites, which apparently is now a ton of folks, with nearly 26% of all sites on the web using the WordPress platform. For you non bloggers, WordPress is software people can use to create websites and blogs.
The main presenter for the weekend, Chris Lema, was discussing our expectations surrounding the next five years with Wordpress.
He said, “Your expectations for the next year are likely too high, but expectations for the next five years are way too low.”
His point was that if I am a beginner, which I am, I will not be writing highly sophisticated code over the course of the next year. I can’t be thinking I’m just going to read a book, snap my fingers and be able to check that off my list.
But, if I focus on learning more each day, eating that elephant one bite at a time, I will have the ability to do some pretty amazing things in the next five years, things I can’t even yet imagine. The WordPress platform has the potential to be that dynamic and that powerful.
His point perfectly explains where I am right now personally. My turnaround started a year ago and in some ways I am not as far along as I had hoped, while in others I have far exceeded my expectations.
It dawned on me, I too am that dynamic and that powerful! As long as I keep applying my skills to try to solve real world problems on a consistent basis, I, like WordPress, will continue to flourish in unexpected ways and as a bonus, avoid going the way of the 8 track!
So I have three suggestions after my WordCamp weekend;
- If you are into blogging and building websites, check out and connect with Chris Lema. He is an awesome guy and I enjoyed hearing him so much. He is an extraordinary story teller and was very entertaining to listen to.
- Look up WordCamp near you and get on their mailing list. Tickets go quick, so if this sounds like something you’d be interested in, you’ve got to be on it when it happens!
- Go spend a weekend at Liberty Station, I really feel as though it is a still undiscovered gem in San Diego. The location used to be the old Naval Training Center, but is in the process of being renovated and repurposed into an amazing multi use neighborhood. We have spent a few weekends down there now and enjoy it each time. There is a conveniently located Courtyard by Marriott right there on the water, a total hidden gem! You will be within walking distance of walking/biking paths, galleries, and restaurants in a park-like setting.
Alright…have a great Wonderful Wednesday!
Don’t be afraid to make that TURNAROUND now!
- To The Homeless Woman in Town - June 18, 2016
- When You’re a Mom, It’s the Little Things - May 10, 2016
- Empty Nest and Living Our Dreams - April 30, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday & the Wonder of WordPress - April 26, 2016
- Between the Lines & Turnaround at 50 – You are Not Alone - April 26, 2016
- Bloggers @ Midlife 2016 Conference - April 20, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday - April 12, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday - April 5, 2016
- Wonderful Wednesday - March 29, 2016
- Choosing Life with Motorcycle Hair - March 26, 2016